Democrat Wins New York House Seat
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Democrat Kathy Hochul won election to a House seat in a district in western New York that traditionally has been held by Republicans.
Hochul has attacked her Republican rival -- Jane Corwin -- over Medicare.
"We had the issues on our side -- did we not have the right issues on our side?" Hochul said Tuesday evening. Supporters chanted "Medicare! Medicare!" at her victory party.
"We can balance our budget the right way and not on the backs of our seniors," she said.Republicans have backed sweeping changes to Medicare. Under a proposal from Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., Medicare would remain unchanged for those 55 or older. Anyone younger would be required to obtain coverage from a private insurer, with the government providing a subsidy to cover part of the cost of premiums. The House seat in New York was considered safe for Republicans. They held the district for more than four decades, according to CNN. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV