Democrat Wins New York House Seat
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Democrat Kathy Hochul won election to a House seat in a district in western New York that traditionally has been held by Republicans.
Hochul has attacked her Republican rival -- Jane Corwin -- over Medicare.
"We had the issues on our side -- did we not have the right issues on our side?" Hochul said Tuesday evening. Supporters chanted "Medicare! Medicare!" at her victory party.
"We can balance our budget the right way and not on the backs of our seniors," she said.Republicans have backed sweeping changes to Medicare. Under a proposal from Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., Medicare would remain unchanged for those 55 or older. Anyone younger would be required to obtain coverage from a private insurer, with the government providing a subsidy to cover part of the cost of premiums. The House seat in New York was considered safe for Republicans. They held the district for more than four decades, according to CNN. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV