NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Talk about an anticlimax.
American International Group's (AIG) secondary offering that will likely be priced Tuesday will meet a collective yawn from investors, less than a week after traders sent LinkedIn's (LNKD) initial public offering skyrocketing.
|AIG CEO Robert Benmosche|
"It is not going to have the allure. The excitement of LinkedIn was like having a baby, while the AIG re-IPO is like a patient surviving a heart attack," says Steve Gerbel, founder and president of Chicago Capital Management.
AIG is expected to price 300 million in shares by close of business Tuesday, at around $29 to $30, said Scott Sweet co-founder of IPO Boutique. The offering of the government's 92 percent stake in AIG is actually a "re-IPO" of the shares acquired after the U.S. Treasury Department doled out $85 billion to bail out the insurer in 2008.But despite three years of anticipation Wall Street is decidedly ho-hum on AIG's plans. "LinkedIn was a far more speculative story compared to AIG, which has been around for many years. It is the government selling the stake after a bailout, so it doesn't have the same excitement," says Sweet. "In addition, AIG is a very large deal. They are selling 300 million shares compared to LinkedIn's 8 million." Sweet added that the number of shares in the AIG IPO will limit the price sensitivity that made the LinkedIn IPO so exciting and caused some consternation in the markets. Critics have accused LinkedIn's underwriters of keeping outstanding shares to a minimum in order to ramp up demand. LinkedIn's IPO jumped from its $45 offer price to $94.25 on the first day of trading due to the demand for the shares. Shares of LinkedIn are currently trading at $88.89. But with hundreds of millions of AIG shares getting ready to flood the market, traders will the less than enthusiastic about getting in on the deal.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV