2010 Honeymoon Statistics Released By The Knot
The Knot Inc. (NASDAQ: KNOT), the premier media company with the top two wedding websites, TheKnot.com and WeddingChannel.com, today released the results of its 3rd annual Honeymoon Study, which surveyed more than 12,000 U.S. couples married in 2010. The most definitive report on honeymoon statistics, the 2010 Honeymoon Study from The Knot Market Intelligence, a research division of The Knot Inc., tracks the more than $6 billion honeymoon market by capturing detailed feedback on honeymoon decisions, influences and destination choices.
“The 2010 Honeymoon Study provides incomparable insight into the multibillion-dollar honeymoon industry, and we’re thrilled to provide this level of detail to destination and travel companies looking to understand the decisions couples make while planning this very important trip,” said Kristyn Clement, senior director of The Knot Market Intelligence at The Knot Inc. “TheKnot.com and WeddingChannel.com are the leading wedding planning resources used by the overwhelming majority of brides in the U.S.; we are, by far, the leading source for insights into the bridal space, including this comprehensive and detailed understanding of honeymoon decision making and trends.”
2010 HONEYMOON STATISTICS
1. Estimated Number of Honeymooners: 1.4 million U.S. couples per year2. Cost of a Honeymoon: $4,466, on average 3. Honeymoon Length: 8 days, on average (excluding travel time) 4. Who’s Paying: 62% of couples pay for most (at least 90%) of their honeymoon on their own 5. When They Book the Honeymoon: 4 months before the wedding date, on average 6. Most Popular “International” Destinations (% of overall honeymooners): Mexico (15%), Hawaii (12%), Jamaica (7%), The Bahamas (5%), Italy (5%), St. Lucia (5%), France (3%), U.S.V.I. (3%) 7. Most Popular Continental U.S. Destinations (% of overall honeymooners): Florida (8%), California (5%), Nevada (3%) 8. Luxury Honeymooners: represent 15% of the market and spend more than $7,000 9. Most Popular Luxury Honeymoon Destination Region (% of luxury honeymooners): Europe (28%), Caribbean (21%), Hawaii (18%), South Pacific (11%) CONTINENTAL U.S. VS. INTERNATIONAL HONEYMOONERS Nearly 30% of newly married U.S. couples honeymoon exclusively within the continental U.S., whereas more than 70% travel outside of the continental U.S. (including Hawaii) for at least some part of their honeymoon.
|Segment||Continental U.S. Honeymooner||International Honeymooner|
|Top Destinations||Florida, California and Nevada||Mexico, Hawaii, Jamaica, The Bahamas, Italy, St. Lucia, France and U.S.V.I.|
|Average Cost||$2,325||$5,219 (more than twice the domestic spend)|
|Average Length (excluding travel time)||6.7 days||8.7 days|
|What Honeymooners Look For||
|Accommodations|| More diverse range:
| More resort- and cruise-focused:
|Booking||More likely to book directly with a vendor (59%)||More likely to book a package (44%), use travel agents (34%) and book extras (72%)|
|Satisfaction||57% said their honeymoon was “extremely enjoyable”||67% said their honeymoon was “extremely enjoyable”|
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.