There's one area that's been ignored, though, and that is the private market exchanges that now exist for buying and selling private company shares pre-IPO. There are two such exchanges: SecondMarket and SharesPost.
Interest in and media coverage of these exchanges has grown over the past year, as higher-valuation transactions began to occur involving Facebook, Twitter, Zynga, Groupon and LinkedIn.
It became possible for institutional and individual investors within the last couple of years to buy into these private firms' shares before they went public. For employees at these firms looking to sell, these new markets gave them liquidity for their shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV