Gold for June delivery added $7.90 to $1,523.30 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price has traded as high as $1,529 and as low as $1,513.20. The spot gold price was up $7.50, according to Kitco's gold index.
Silver prices jumped $1.22 to $36.12 an ounce. The U.S. dollar index was shedding 0.38% to $75.85 which was helping the metals as they became cheaper to buy in other currencies.
Long term borrowing costs for Italy, Portugal, and Spain jumped Monday as investors were reluctant to lend money to the troubled countries. Portugal is in bailout mode, Italy received a credit downgrade, and Spain has a new ruling party that could derail its own austerity measures or uncover more debt problems. Goldman Sachs also might have called a bottom in commodities after it revised its outlook upwards for oil. Although, its gold and silver price targets were unchanged at $1,690 and $28.20, respectively. Morgan Stanley increased its oil price forecast by 20%. The bullish sentiment helped drag all commodities higher. A wild card for all commodities, however, is growth in China. Goldman slashed China's 2011 and 2012 growth forecast to 9.4% and 9.2%, respectively. If the country slows too much there won't be enough money to buy goods, from commodities the country actually consumes to gold, which is bought as a store of wealth. Goldman said China's inflation will fall to 4.7% in 2011, it is currently at 5.3%, and to 3% in 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV