Ash Cloud Grounds European Flights
Updated from 6:54 a.m. EDT
LONDON (TheStreet) -- The ash cloud from the eruption of the Grimsvotn volcano in Iceland has grounded more than 200 flights in Europe for safety reasons.
The Volcanic Ash Advisory Center in London warned late Monday there was a risk that some ash clouds may reach parts of northern Europe in the next 48 hours, The Wall Street Journal reported.
The ash cloud forced President Obama to shorten his trip to Ireland.Iceland and Scotland already are affected by the ash cloud and it's expected Northern England and Northern Ireland could be affected later Tuesday. "Most airlines have cancelled flights today -- 252 flights," said Brian Flynn, head of operations at the Brussels-based Eurocontrol via Twitter. "Parts of ash cloud to cover Scotland and Northern Ireland today." Flynn warned that 500 flights could be affected. / The latest ash cloud is the second to strike the region in as many years. Authorities say they don't expect the kind of massive grounding of flights that followed last year's eruption of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano in Iceland because systems and procedures have been improved since then and the cloud is currently not expected to move over continental Europe, The Associated Press reported. British Airways said it was suspending a number of flights. No major U.S. airlines have reported flight disruptions. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV