NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- If some agricultural equities look a little exhausted these days -- especially as underlying commodities prices turn south across the board -- that doesn't mean that investment prospects in the sector have dried up, at least according to one hedge-fund portfolio manager focused on the farm business.
"We find opportunities that are not mainstream," says Ejnar Knudsen, who has run Passport Capital's agricultural-focused fund since its inception in March 2009.
Knudsen is a long-term bull on ag for reasons shared by many other investors: global population growth, and the rising middle classes in China, India and other emerging economies, which will put pressure, they say, on food supplies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV