Medtronic shares are up 14% so far in 2011, but Wunderlich Securities sees the report as an afterthought since the company is in between CEOs after naming Omar Ishrak of General Electric (GE) to take over for William Hawkins. Ishrak joins Medtronic on June 13.
The economic data for Tuesday features new-home sales at 10:00 a.m. ET and durable orders at 8:30 a.m ET; both readings are for April. Economists are expecting April's sales activity for new homes to put the annual rate at 300,000, according to Briefing.com, and Ian Shepherdson, chief economist at High Frequency Economics is in agreement.
"New home sales are, as far as we know, the weakest major U.S. economic indicator," he wrote in a research note. "They remain close to their all-time low, having dropped about 80% from their peak, and we think it's unlikely that today's
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV