PLX Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ: PLXT), the leader in high-speed connectivity solutions for the enterprise and the home, today announced it has successfully demonstrated 10Gbps Ethernet data and electrical transfer, in full compliance with the IEEE 802.3an standard, over a distance of 300 meters using typical, widely installed Cat6A unshielded twisted pair copper cable.
The unique networking demonstration, enabled by PLX®-designed Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) repeaters, utilizes a PLX 40nm-based TN8022 dual-port 10GBase-T PHY transceiver. This breakthrough distance achievement with low-cost Ethernet cabling brings new capabilities to IT managers seeking high-performance networking between multiple server rooms, which, for example, may be located on different floors of a high-rise building or in a campus environment.
PLX 10GBase-T Leadership
PLX enabled the industry’s first 10GBase-T equipment via its Teranetics acquisition, and today owns more than 60 percent market share for 10GBase-T physical layer (PHY) devices. With the market’s broadest PHY portfolio, which includes 40nm quad, dual and single port configurations that are now sampling, PLX is providing significant advantages of designing with its 10GBase-T PHYs including:
- GrEEEn™ Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) support per the IEEE 802.3az specification. PLX GrEEEn features a 50 percent reduction in power dissipation for typical long term traffic patterns
- Integrated MACsec per IEEE 802.1ae featuring encrypted data for privacy (confidential data exchange) and enhanced filtering for “denial of service” attacks
- Electromagnetic immunity (EMI) with high performance using a common mode sense, which improves electromagnetic cancellation, EMI robustness and system speed
- On-chip monitor and ADC for thermal management, featuring die junction temperature via MDIO register and alarm capabilities
- Analog return loss cancellation, pair and polarity swap, loopback, media dependent interface (MDI) tests, link health / fault monitoring