Gold for June delivery added $16.50 to close at $1,508.90 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price has traded as high as $1,515.80 and has hit a low of $1,486.40. The spot gold price was rising by $20, according to Kitco's gold index.
Silver prices rose 15 cents to close at $35.08 an ounce. The U.S. dollar index was adding 0.38% to $75.38, but the euro was tanking 0.8% against the dollar and gold in euro terms was more than 2%.
The SPDR Gold Shares (GLD), the biggest physically backed ETF, shed less than 1 ton, underscoring the lack of conviction from buyers and sellers. David Banister, chief investment strategist at ActiveTradingPartners.com, says predicting where gold and silver will go next is a little tricky right now. "I think it's unlikely that we get any lower than $1,440. My current forecast is actually for that $1,462 to hold." Once gold shakes out this correction, Banister thinks it will attack new highs of $1,625 sometime in the summer. Banister thinks that $1,625 gold means that silver will be at $41/$42 an ounce. Most experts think that gold and silver will continue to find direction from the U.S. dollar. As the currency weakens, metals move higher as they retain more value and inversely when the dollar strengthens, the safe haven assets becomes a less exciting place to stash cash. Despite the fact that the dollar was strong Friday against the euro, gold and silver still rallied on safe haven buying. Gold mining stocks were mixed Friday. Kinross Gold (KGC) was adding 0.87% at $14.99 while Yamana Gold (AUY) was down 1.30% to $12.12. Other gold stocks, Agnico-Eagle (AEM) and Eldorado Gold (EGO) were trading at $62.80 and $15.77, respectively.
|More on Gold Gold Price News|
|How to Invest in Gold|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Alix Steel. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adsteel.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV