3. Community Bank System
Shares of Community Bank System (CBU) of De Witt, N.Y., closed at $24.21 Monday, returning 2% over the previous year. Based on a quarterly payout of 24 cents, the shares have a yield of 3.97%.
The company in April completed its acquisition of Wilber Corp. of Oneonta, N.Y., bringing its total assets to approximately $6.3 billion, with roughly 170 customer facilities in upstate New York and northeastern Pennsylvania.First-quarter net income was $16.2 million, or 48 cents a share, increasing from $14 million, or 42 cents a share, in the first quarter of 2010. Net interest income increased 5% year-over-year to $45.5 million in the first quarter, from a decline in funding costs. The first-quarter provision for loan losses was $1.1 million, declining from $1.8 million a year earlier. The first-quarter net interest margin increased to 4.02% from 3.87% a year earlier, according to SNL. The first-quarter ROA was 1.18%. Following the earnings release, David Darst of Guggenheim securities reiterated his neutral rating with on Community Bank System's shares, with a $27 price target, while raising his 2011 earnings estimate by six cents to $2.01 a share, and increasing his 2012 estimate by three cents to $2.08. Darst said the bank's valuation was in line with "banks in the Mid-Atlantic and New England with a similar profitability profile." The shares trade for 12 times the consensus 2012 earnings estimate of $2.08 share. Out of six analysts covering Community Bank System, two rate the shares a buy, while the remaining analysts all have neutral ratings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV