6. Monsanto (MON), along with its subsidiaries, is a provider of agricultural products for farmers. Its seeds, biotechnology trait products and herbicides provide farmers with solutions that improve productivity and produce better foods for consumers and better feed for animals. It manages business in two segments: Seeds and Genomics, and Agricultural Productivity.
During the second quarter of 2011, the company reported earnings of $1 billion, or $1.88 per share, compared to $887 million, or $1.60 per share in the year-ago quarter. Revenue for the period increased 6.1% year-over-year to $4.1 billion from $3.9 billion led by a 5.3% and 10.3% increase in revenue from seeds and genomics, and the agricultural productivity segment, respectively.
During April, the company paid a quarterly dividend of 28 cents per share. The company expects to generate strong cash flow in the future, and remains committed to returning value to shareowners through vehicles such as investments that expand the business, dividends and share repurchases.Of the 24 analysts covering the stock, 46% recommend it as a buy, while 46% rate it a hold. On average, analysts estimate 17.5% upside, to $77.07 in value from current levels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV