6. Monsanto (MON), along with its subsidiaries, is a provider of agricultural products for farmers. Its seeds, biotechnology trait products and herbicides provide farmers with solutions that improve productivity and produce better foods for consumers and better feed for animals. It manages business in two segments: Seeds and Genomics, and Agricultural Productivity.
During the second quarter of 2011, the company reported earnings of $1 billion, or $1.88 per share, compared to $887 million, or $1.60 per share in the year-ago quarter. Revenue for the period increased 6.1% year-over-year to $4.1 billion from $3.9 billion led by a 5.3% and 10.3% increase in revenue from seeds and genomics, and the agricultural productivity segment, respectively.
During April, the company paid a quarterly dividend of 28 cents per share. The company expects to generate strong cash flow in the future, and remains committed to returning value to shareowners through vehicles such as investments that expand the business, dividends and share repurchases.Of the 24 analysts covering the stock, 46% recommend it as a buy, while 46% rate it a hold. On average, analysts estimate 17.5% upside, to $77.07 in value from current levels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV