"With many law enforcement people, it's kick 'em and, you know, that's it: put 'em out of business," Sporkin says "That impressed me, that he was willing to work with companies and not look at it only with a law enforcement mentality."
That style was in marked contrast to that of former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who also led the criminal cases against Milken and Boesky as the U.S. Attorney for New York's Southern District. Giuliani favored attention-getting tactics like having federal agents escort Wall Street executives out of their offices in handcuffs. In at least one instance, the charges were eventually dropped, according to a 2007 report by Bloomberg News..
|Gary Lynch as a young bank watchdog.|
Friends of Lynch say he has always favored a low-key approach.
"In my professional life, to include the 7 years I served as an officer in the Marine Corps, there is no one I hold in higher regard than Gary Lynch when it comes to character and integrity," says Pat Patalino, who worked for Lynch at Davis Polk, Credit Suisse and Morgan Stanley, before taking his current job as general counsel of Baron Capital.Character and integrity is certainly something Bank of America would like to have in its corner at the moment, as it has so far been unsuccessful in assuring investors it has a handle on mortgage-related legal headaches, many of them the legacy of its 2008 acquisition of Countrywide Financial. "I don't know of anyone that's been particularly impressed with how
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV