Shares of SMART Technologies (SMT) fell sharply in extended action after the Canadian maker of interactive whiteboard technology products said its quarterly profit was held back by spending on research and development and infrastructure.
The company posted a non-GAAP profit of $800,000, or a penny per share, for the fiscal fourth quarter ended March 31 on revenue of $167.3 million, down significantly from year-ago equivalent earnings of $5.7 million, or 3 cents a share, on revenue of $155.6 million.
SMART Tech also projected full-year revenue to come in between flat and down 5% from a total of $790.1 million for the year ended March 31. Adjusted earnings are anticipated to be "consistent" with its $85.5 million total for this past year.The stock was down 13.1% at $8.45 on volume of 200,000 in late trades.
PetsmartPetsmart (PETM) shares rose in late trades after the Phoenix-based pet supplies retailer topped Wall Street's consensus profit view for its latest quarter by nearly 11%, and lifted its full-year outlook. The company reported a profit of $70.9 million, or 61 cents a share, for the three months ended May 1 on sales of $1.49 billion, up from year-ago equivalent earnings of $55.6 million, or 46 cents a share, on sales of $1.39 billion, and ahead of the average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters for a profit of 55 cents a share. The stock was last quoted at $44.90, up 5.7%, on volume of around 210,000, according to Nasdaq.com. Based on a regular session close at $42.49, the shares were up more than 30% in the past year, including a gain of more than 7% so far in 2011. -- Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV