Healy said not a single IAM member was harmed by Boeing's decision. "We've grown by 2,000 people [in Everett] since we announced we would put a second line in Charleston," he said.
The April 20 ruling has a long way to go if it is to be upheld, starting with a June 14 hearing in Seattle, and could potentially end up before the U.S. Supreme Court. But, given the fierce competition between states for manufacturing jobs, the ruling has been seized upon by a myriad of opponents as an example of a government agency gone wild.
The ruling was issued by NLRB General Counsel, Lafe Solomon, who has spent nearly 40 years on the NLRB staff. Named acting general counsel in 2010, his nomination to the post is currently pending before the U.S. Senate, where it now seems likely to incur significant opposition. Under NLRB procedure Solomon's staff will present his case to an administrative law judge at the Seattle hearing. If the judge's decision is appealed, the case would go to the full board.
The board has four members, including three Democrats and one Republican; normally, the five-member board has three members from the U.S. president's party and two from the opposition.Boeing shares were up almost 75 cents in afternoon trading Wednesday at $77.25. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV