EVERETT, Wash. ( TheStreet) -- Despite the partisan hysteria surrounding a simmering dispute with Boeing (BA), the National Labor Relations Board's general counsel maintains the aircraft maker could address the agency's concerns and still build 787s in South Carolina.
NLRB spokeswoman Nancy Cleeland said Boeing could simply agree to build 10 Boeing 787s a month in its Everett factory. Boeing had planned to build seven a month in Everett and three a month in North Charleston, S.C.
In a ruling issued April 20, the NLRB counsel said that Boeing retaliated illegally against the International Association of Machinists by deciding to build a plant in South Carolina.
"We are not telling Boeing they can't build planes in South Carolina," Cleeland clarified, in an interview. "We are talking about one specific piece of work: three planes a month. If they keep those three planes a month in Washington, there is no problem." Beyond the ten planes, she said, Boeing could build whatever it wants in South Carolina.Cleeland said the hysteria ought to be tamped down because the ruling's implications are not as broad as opponents seem to believe. Still, Boeing spokesman Tim Healy said a restriction that applies to three aircraft is not acceptable because the company did nothing illegal. "They are saying 'Okay, we're not trying to shut you down in South Carolina -- just agree that you're guilty,'" he said. "But we disagree fundamentally." Boeing announced in 2007 that it would assemble seven 787s per month in Everett. Later, the company said it would create a second production line to assemble three additional planes a month. In October 2009, Boeing said
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV