Unitrin, Inc. Announces April Catastrophe Loss Estimate
Unitrin, Inc. (NYSE: UTR) today announced its preliminary estimate of catastrophe losses due to several, severe tornados and other storms during the month of April. The Company estimates second quarter results will include between $65 million and $75 million in pre-tax catastrophe losses related to the April storm activity. Amounts recoverable through reinsurance are estimated to be immaterial.
Customers across more than a dozen states were impacted, with those in North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas and Alabama suffering the largest losses. Unitrin’s catastrophe teams have been on the ground since the storms began, working to provide funds for emergency living expenses and to expedite claims processing. Total claims are estimated to reach approximately 12,000.
Unitrin is a diversified insurance holding company. Its operating subsidiaries principally provide life, auto, homeowners and other insurance products for individuals, families and small businesses.
Unitrin’s principal businesses are:
- Kemper ®, which provides auto, homeowners and other insurance products to individuals through a network of independent agents,
- Unitrin Direct, which markets auto, homeowners and renters insurance to consumers via direct mail, the Internet and employer-sponsored employee benefit programs and other affinity relationships,
- Unitrin Specialty, which provides auto insurance through a network of independent agents and brokers to individuals and small businesses which have had difficulty procuring insurance through traditional channels, usually due to adverse driving records or claim or credit histories, and
- Life and Health Insurance, which specializes in the sale of life and health insurance products to individuals through networks of employee agents and exclusive, independent agents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV