17 Products That Were Invented by Accident
Warfarin, sold by Bristol Myers Squibb (BMY) as Coumadin, a blood thinner used to stave off strokes and heart attacks, was a rat poison until its lower-dose benefit to humans was stumbled upon.
The actual discovery of Warfarin was itself surprising. Back in 1933, a Wisconsin farmer dropped in on Professor Karl Paul Link of the University of Wisconsin-Madison's School of Agriculture and asked for his help in figuring out why local cows were dying.The suspect was the type of hay the cows were eating and the type of sweet clover added to the feed. It took Link and his lab until 1941 to fully identify and isolate the powerful anticoagulant killing the cattle. In marketing the chemical as a rat poison, the name Warfarin was chosen as a shout out to the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, an organization that helps process, patent and commercialize inventions by UW-Madison faculty and staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV