17 Products That Were Invented by Accident
Another kid-friendly concoction, Hasbro's (HAS) Play-Doh, also hit the marketplace after failing in its original intent -- to be a cleaning substance for wallpaper.
Created in 1956 (and patented in 1965) by Noah McVicker and Joseph McVicker, the brothers had initially cast aside their invention. Then, inspiration struck when a teacher casually mentioned her dissatisfaction with the hard, tough-to-shape clay her students used.The soft, pliable wallpaper product began its new life when they offered to supply schools in the Cincinnati area with their squishy stuff. It was such a success that department stores took notice, leading to the formal branding and marketing of Play-Doh. A variety of accessories have helped add to the millions of tons sold over the decades. Among them, the Play-Doh Fun Factory introduced in the 1960s, the Fuzzy Pumper Barber & Beauty Shop and a McDonald's (MCD) play set.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV