17 Products That Were Invented by Accident
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- The best-laid plans can often go awry. Sometimes, when they do, the result can be pure profit.
Millions have been made from accidental discoveries, proof of the adage that sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.
Coca-Cola (KO) and Pepsi (PEP) were birthed as medicinal remedies. Plastic was first synthesized in a failed effort to reproduce the shellac once made from beetle husks and Charles Goodyear, as in Goodyear (GT), made no secret that his revolutionary process for vulcanized rubber was discovered randomly.
Here are 10 other big products that went from being missteps to life-changing discoveries:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV