Gold for June delivery lost $10.60 to settle at $1,480 at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price Wednesday has traded as high as $1,497.50 and as low as $1,471.70. The spot gold price was falling $7.30, according to Kitco's gold index.
Silver prices shed 64 cents to close at $33.49 an ounce. The U.S. dollar index reversed directions and was losing 0.16% to $75.47.
Both silver and gold faced some noise Tuesday as investors digest the latest 13F filings for the first quarter, which don't look good for gold. George Soros dumped his gold holdings in the first quarter but he did put some money on two large cap miners, Barrick Gold (ABX) and Goldcorp (GG). Soros' closely watched fund added a handful of shares to the two names, raising its position in Barrick to 8,500 and initiating a new position in Goldcorp of 7,600 shares. Soros reduced his holdings in the SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) to 49,400 and reduced his big share of NovaGold (NG) to 3.5 million shares from 12.91 million. Soros' bet on the small gold miner was a big boost for shares in 2010 which have fallen 35.8% year-to-date. Soros did initiate a new position in Freeport McMoRan Copper & Gold (FCX) of 301,300 shares and added to his position of Great Basin Gold (GBG) bringing his stake to 6 million shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV