BOSTON (The Street Ratings) -- Wall Street's brightest investment minds were required to release their holdings at last night's deadline, giving mere mortals insight into their strategies.
Here's a breakdown of the top hedge fund and investment managers, and the winning and losing industries and stocks during the first quarter, the latest for which information is available.
Within financials, Appaloosa Management, a top-performing hedge fund firm run by David Tepper, cut its bank-stock holdings by 15%. While Citigroup (C) remains Tepper's top position, he sold nearly 4 million shares in the quarter, while also dumping almost 8 million shares of Bank of America (BAC).
Paulson & Co., overseen by multibillionaire John Paulson, stuck with the financial sector, remaining a big holder of Citigroup, Bank of America and Wells Fargo (WFC). TheStreet Ratings' model, based on quantitative information, has a "hold" on Bank of America and Citigroup, yet favors Wells Fargo, which is rated "buy."
|David Einhorn (Greenlight Capital)|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV