10 Nonprofits That Act Like For-Profits
National Geographic Society
With an iconic magazine and a popular cable television channel, National Geographic is a household name.
Constantly evolving as a media "company," the National Geographic Society differs from other cable mainstays as Bravo and the Food Network in being a nonprofit organization -- and one of the world's largest in science and education.
The society has funded more than 9,975 scientific research, conservation and exploration projects in more than 180 countries, territories and islands.In its 2009 financial filings, Revenue from its books, magazines and videos totaled about $445 million. Combining the fickle nature of the media business with a recession-fueled downturn in spending, the 2009 filing reported a loss of nearly $14.6 million throughout the previous year, down from an "excess" of nearly $17 million in 2007.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV