7. Scripps Network Interactive (SNI)
Company Profile: Scripps Network owns television and interactive brands, including the Home and Garden Television (HGTV), Food Network, Travel Channel, DIY Network (DIY) and Cooking Channel.Paulson's Investment: Paulson grabbed 3 million shares of Scripps during the first quarter, a position that was valued at $150 million as of March 31. Shares of Scripps Network are down nearly 3% this year, although the stock is up nearly 10% since the beginning of February. In April, Scripps agreed to sell Shopzilla, the online shopping comparison service, to private-equity firm Symphony Technology Group for $165 million.
6. Family Dollar (FDO) Company Profile: Family Dollar operates more than 6,600 general merchandise retail discount stores in 44 states. Paulson's Investment: Paulson & Co. purchased 3.5 million share of the discount retailer, worth $177 million as of March 31. Shares of Family Dollar are up 4.5% this year, as the company has been a takeover target of Nelson Peltz's hedge fund Trian Group. However, the company has thus far spurned Peltz's offer. In March, Family Dollar reported better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings and raised the low end of its full-year outlook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV