The security hardware specialist is one of the beneficiaries of Cisco's (CSCO) recent struggles. Whereas Cisco's security business grew just 2% year-over-year in its recent quarterly results, Fortinet enjoyed a 48% hike in sales of its security products.
"As security becomes more and more important over time, the wind is at their back," Roger Kay, an analyst at Endpoint Technologies told TheStreet. "Fortinet's stock performance is very steady, they have barely had a glitch."Fortinet owes its success to its FortiGate appliance, an all-in-one security product that combines firewall, anti-virus, VPN and intrusion prevention systems. Publicly traded for less than two years, the firm is acknowledged as a leader in an area known as Unified Threat Management (UTM), whereby businesses tackle multiple security threats via a single device. Fortinet's stock has risen almost 180% since its IPO, an upward trajectory expected continue. During the firm's first-quarter results, Fortinet reported that it grew its revenue 34% compared to the prior year's quarter, boosted its cash position, and raised its guidance for fiscal 2011. Crucially for investors, Fortinet also has an impressive forward price-to-earnings ratio of 57.52, hinting at future earnings growth. The average forward multiple for the S&P 500 is 12.9.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV