Cereplast Reports First Quarter 2011 Results
Cereplast, Inc. (NASDAQ:CERP), a leading manufacturer of proprietary bio-based, compostable and sustainable plastics, announced financial results for its first quarter ended March 31, 2011.
“The first quarter 2011 results reflect the initial quarter of significant revenues for the company and demonstrate the momentum of our business as we continue to benefit from legislation banning the use of plastic bags and suggesting the use of bioplastic in the European Union and other emerging markets, as well as the higher cost of commodities,” said Frederic Scheer, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Cereplast. “This momentum sets the stage for strong future growth as illustrated by the increased customer activity in Europe and establishment of important distribution relationships that are expected to ramp in scope and size throughout the remainder of the year.”
Scheer continued, “To satisfy the expected growth in revenues, we announced plans for a strategically located plant in Italy solidifying our continued commitment to meet the increasing demand for bioplastic resin in Europe. This is one of several initiatives in place to support growth and improve gross margins.”
First Quarter 2011 and Recent Highlights
- Opened initial sales office in Europe with facility in Bönen, Germany, in January, to support the rapid expansion of its European operations.
Signed distribution agreements during the first quarter solidifying
the company’s presence in the growing European market.
- Entered into a distribution agreement with DMT Plasticolor, in March, to supply Cereplast bioplastic resins to the Croatian marketplace.
- Signed distribution agreements in January with BioWorks Pl, ColorTec S.r.l., and Euroink Romania, to supply bioplastic resin to the Southern Italian, Polish, Romanian, and Slovenian markets.
- Launched a new trademarked icon, in April, to help consumers identify products made from bioplastics. The new symbol is a result of Cereplast’s “Make Your Mark” competition which produced a new icon that will represent the next generation of plastics — bio-based, biodegradable, and compostable plastics that protect and preserve the environment. The new icon will be used in a similar fashion to the recycling symbol as it will be stamped on products and serve as an identifying mark of bioplastic material.
- Announced Italy-based bioplastic manufacturing plant, in May, to create efficiencies and enable continued expansion into European market. The plant is expected to have 100,000 tons of capacity and is to be financed by local Italian financial institutions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV