Massey Comments On Debt Tender Offer By Alpha Natural Resources, Inc.
RICHMOND, Va., May 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Massey Energy Company (NYSE: MEE) today announced that its Board of Directors had confirmed a decision to express no opinion and remain neutral toward the offer by Alpha Natural Resources, Inc. ("Alpha") on May 3, 2011, to purchase any and all of Massey's outstanding 6.875% Senior Notes due 2013 (the "Tender Offer"). The Tender Offer was contemplated in connection with the previously announced Agreement and Plan of Merger (the "Merger Agreement") dated January 28, 2011 with Alpha and Mountain Merger Sub, Inc., a Delaware corporation and a wholly owned subsidiary of Alpha ("Merger Sub"), providing for the acquisition of Massey by Alpha. Subject to the terms and conditions of the Merger Agreement, Massey will be merged with and into Merger Sub (the "Merger"), with Massey surviving the Merger as a wholly owned subsidiary of Alpha.
Massey today announced that its Board of Directors believes that each noteholder should make its decision as to whether to tender on an individual rather than collective basis, based on the noteholder's particular circumstances. The Board of Directors believes the determination of whether to tender is a financial decision to be made by each noteholder, in consultation with the noteholder's financial advisor, based on the terms of the Tender Offer and the consideration amount being offered by Alpha. For these reasons, the Board of Directors believes that it is not appropriate for it to make a recommendation to noteholders regarding the Tender Offer and expresses no opinion as to the course of action that noteholders should take in connection with the Tender Offer and remains neutral toward the Tender Offer.
The announcements contained in this press release were made pursuant to Rule 14e-2 under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV