MINNEAPOLIS (Stockpickr) -- Market participants like to try to explain directional moves in stocks. Whether up or down, there always seems to be a reason for the move. Often the reason is simply encapsulated in a major headline.
For example, strong economic numbers such as employment data are often given as a reason for stocks moving higher. Or when stocks move lower, some fear-based event, such as higher inflation or a terror event or some other crisis, is usually given to explain the move.
In my opinion, sensational headlines miss the mark in explaining a stock's move. The main reason a stock moves up or down is related to its valuation and often has nothing to do outside events. But for some reason, valuation is usually far down on the list explaining stock moves.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV