NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- PulteGroup (PHM), Weyerhaeuser (WY) and Lennar (LEN) were among the homebuilder stocks in positive territory Monday after the National Association of Home Builders' index of builder sentiment came in unchanged in May.
The NAHB said early Monday its confidence index, which measures builder perceptions of current single-family home sales and sales expectations for the next six months, came in flat at a reading of 16 in May, matching expectations of industry watchers, according to consensus estimates listed on Briefing.com.
Any reading below 50 indicates poor sentiment. The index has not been above 50 since April 2006. Though the index remained unchanged, and has been at a reading of 16 for six of the past seven months, market watchers were pleased it had not fallen this month, bidding builder stocks mostly higher in morning trading. Weyerhaeuser led the group, gaining 2.7% ahead of midday. D.R. Horton (DHI) added 2.1%, PulteGroup 1.1%, Lennar 1.6%, and KB Home (KBH) 1.5%. The SPDR S&P Homebuilders (XHB), an exchange-traded fund that tracks the homebuilder sector, bucked the trend, trading 0.1% lower. Small-cap builders Standard Pacific (SPF) and Comstock Homebuilding (CHCI) were also in negative territory, shedding 1.1% and 1.5%, respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV