NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- PulteGroup (PHM), Weyerhaeuser (WY) and Lennar (LEN) were among the homebuilder stocks in positive territory Monday after the National Association of Home Builders' index of builder sentiment came in unchanged in May.
The NAHB said early Monday its confidence index, which measures builder perceptions of current single-family home sales and sales expectations for the next six months, came in flat at a reading of 16 in May, matching expectations of industry watchers, according to consensus estimates listed on Briefing.com.
Any reading below 50 indicates poor sentiment. The index has not been above 50 since April 2006. Though the index remained unchanged, and has been at a reading of 16 for six of the past seven months, market watchers were pleased it had not fallen this month, bidding builder stocks mostly higher in morning trading. Weyerhaeuser led the group, gaining 2.7% ahead of midday. D.R. Horton (DHI) added 2.1%, PulteGroup 1.1%, Lennar 1.6%, and KB Home (KBH) 1.5%. The SPDR S&P Homebuilders (XHB), an exchange-traded fund that tracks the homebuilder sector, bucked the trend, trading 0.1% lower. Small-cap builders Standard Pacific (SPF) and Comstock Homebuilding (CHCI) were also in negative territory, shedding 1.1% and 1.5%, respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV