PASADENA, Calif. ( TheStreet) -- Sony's (SONY) recent headline-grabbing security snafus, which have now been linked to a key Amazon (AMZN) service, should serve as a security wake up call to cloud providers and companies that use their services.
"This is a sobering call for organizations to wise up," Laura DiDio, principal analyst at ITIC told TheStreet. "There's no such thing as a 100% hack-proof network or device -- it's a fact of computing life in the twenty-first century."
|Sony's struggles prove that there's no such thing a 100% secure network, says Laura DiDio of ITIC.|
Citing a person with knowledge of the matter, Bloomberg reported Monday that a hacker used Amazon's EC2 cloud computing service to launch the attack that crippled Sony's PlayStation network last month. The attacker, who did not hack into Amazon's servers, used a bogus name to establish an account that is now disabled, according to Bloomberg.
Amazon and Sony have not yet responded to TheStreet's request for comment on this story.Earlier this month, Sony confirmed that it was the victim of a massive denial-of-service attack, likely timed to coincide with the hack of its PlayStation Network. Sony subsequently warned its 77 million users that their private account details, such as passwords addresses and credit cards, may have been compromised after the Network was infiltrated by the unknown hacker. ITIC's DiDio said that these type of events underline the need for more sophisticated security technology. "Just as the hackers become more sophisticated and better equipped, so companies need better tools," said DiDio. "One of the best weapons available today is continuous monitoring
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV