10 Cheap Vacations For Expensive Times
An awesome, overlooked Pacific Northwest destination that's accessible by discount carriers including Frontier and JetBlue (JBLU) via Seattle and a $25 round-trip ferry ride across the Strait of Juan de Fuca, Victoria is bustling but by no means a bank-breaker.
Many of the best activities -- which include checking out architecture dating back to the 1800s, stopping to smell the flowers at Butchart Gardens, taking in the history at the Royal British Columbia Museum, tooling around the second-oldest Chinatown in North America (behind San Francisco's) or keeping an eye out for orcas in the harbor -- are either free or inexpensive. Hotel rooms start at $81 for a Travelodge or Super 8, but there are also hostels for $50.
If that's too steep, try going just up the road a stretch and renting a room in Vancouver for $31 a night through iStopover. It's a much bigger, flashier city, but the price is slightly more small-town.-- Written by Jason Notte in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV