Bin Laden Plotted to Kill Obama: Reports
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Osama Bin Laden wanted to kill U.S. President Barack Obama as part of a plot to disrupt the 2012 presidential elections, according to a journal taken from the compound in which the al Qaeda leader was killed.
The mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks was killed in a U.S. military operation in a compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan, last Sunday. U.S. Navy SEALs were able to collect a large amount of hardware from the compound, including more than 100 storage devices, as well as Bin Laden's personal journal.
|The Death of Osama Bin Laden: Photo Gallery|
Investigators have been analyzing the seized materials for key information about the al Qaeda network and to help them to prevent future terrorist attacks.
U.S. intelligence officials have discovered that Bin Laden was hoping to launch an attack on the president, ABC News reported.Bin Laden's writings indicate that he urged his supporters to assassinate Obama, and find a way to disrupt the 2012 elections. "I would say this is probably very personal on Bin Laden's part, to kill a president that he believes has violated the Muslim faith," ABC News consultant and former FBI profiler Brad Garrett said. "He is incensed, inflamed, obsessed about killing the president." --Written by Theresa McCabe in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Theresa McCabe. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to @TheresaMcCabe. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV