NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Crude oil prices finished the week on a positive note Friday on strong economic data out of Europe and bullish commodities commentary -- after putting the markets through a week of twists and turns.
Light sweet crude oil for June delivery rose 68 cents, or 0.7%, to settle at $99.65 a barrel.
The U.S. dollar index traded 0.8% higher at $75.72 as the euro fell 1% against the dollar at $1.411. On Friday, European officials said that Greece, Ireland and Portugal's debt burdens may be larger than previously expected. The news came as Europe's strongest economy, Germany, reported better-than-expected first-quarter economic expansion, stoking optimism about oil demand.
The Brent crude contract for July delivery traded 66 cents, or 0.6% higher, at $112.99.
|More on Earnings Today's Top Earnings|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV