Ron Paul Launches 2012 Bid for President
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Texas Rep. Ron Paul announced Friday he plans to seek the Republican nomination in the 2012 presidential election.
"I am officially announcing that I am a candidate for president in the Republican primary," he said on ABC's "Good Morning America" early Friday morning.
|5 Things You Don't Know About Ron Paul|
Many anticipated his presidential bid was coming after Paul, 75, tweeted Thursday that he would make a "major announcement" on Friday morning.
It will be Paul's third bid for the White House. He ran as the Libertarian Party nominee in 1988 and sought the Republican nomination 20 years later in 2008.Paul joins several other candidates vying for the 2012 GOP nomination, including former House Speaker Newt Gingrich. Paul launched a presidential exploratory committee at the end of April and attended the first Republican presidential debate last week after raising more than a million dollars online, Fox News reported. Congressman Paul is currently the chairman of the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy. As an advocate for limited constitutional government and a monetary policy based on the gold standard, Paul is a famous critic of the Federal Reserve. Now Paul heads to Exeter, N.H., where he'll hold a campaign rally later on Friday. --Written by Theresa McCabe in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Theresa McCabe. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to @TheresaMcCabe. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV