NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Pacific Ethanol (Nasdaq:PEIX) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from sell to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity, robust revenue growth and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally poor debt management, a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 69.88 and currently higher than the industry average, implying that there is very poor management of debt levels within the company. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, PEIX maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.95, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- PEIX's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 62.50%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- PACIFIC ETHANOL INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, PACIFIC ETHANOL INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.93 versus -$5.44 in the prior year.
- PEIX's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 23.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 142.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, PACIFIC ETHANOL INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
Latest Headlines about PEIX
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV