DETROIT ( TheStreet) -- Those lovable baby boomers are at it again, trying to change the world on their terms.
Relaxed-fit jeans, adventure travel and "60 is the new 40" are already part of it. Now, LeaseTrader.com, a Web site that matches lessees with people who want to give up their leases before the expiration date, has issued a report that says boomers like to lease cars.
According to the report, baby boomers represent 48% of LeaseTrader.com customers, compared with 15% in 2000. (Boomers are considered to be between ages 50 and 65.)
"More than any other age group or demographic, boomers have been the biggest growth segment for LeaseTrader.com over the last ten years," said LeaseTrader.com CEO Sergio Stiberman, in a prepared statement.Michelle Krebs, an analyst for Edmunds.com, said in a prepared statement that "boomers have gotten used to the thought of always paying for something, as opposed to financing a car and driving for several years with no payment." In this respect, boomers differ from their parents, who used to buy a car and drive it for 10 years or longer. The report also said that a lot of baby boomers have lost jobs with big companies, re-emerging as entrepreneurs and small business owners who lease cars for tax purposes. Read on for the top five vehicles with leases that baby boomers took over from LeaseTrader.com in 2010, based on a survey that included 1,650 LeaseTrader.com customers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV