About 93% of the 600 patients in the phase III study of Thermodox are enrolled, Celsion says. Once 190 tumor progression events occur, independent data monitors will unblind the study for an interim analysis to determine whether it can be stopped or if it should continue to the final analysis. Celsion expects this interim look at the Thermodox study to occur in the third quarter. If the study continues to the final analysis, top-line results will be announced in the first half of next year, the company says.
Will Thermodox work? I don't know, honestly. Celsion has animal data proving that Thermodox does accumulate at the tumor site, and when heated, releases high concentrations of doxorubicin above what you'd expect to see if the drug were injected conventionally.
In patients, the Thermodox data collected to date are a bit scarce. A phase I study conducted at two hospitals enrolled 24 patients with either primary liver cancer or cancer originating in other parts of the body that had spread, or metastasized, in the liver. Five different doses of Thermodox were studied.
At the 50 mg. dose -- the dose being used in the phase III study -- time to tumor progression reached 185 days. However, only one patient with primary liver cancer was treated.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV