4. Barclays Plc (BCS) is a London-based financial services provider engaged in the retail, corporate, and investment banking services. More than half of the financial major's income is generated from Europe, with the U.K. contributing the bulk.
For March 2011 quarter, gross loans and advances expanded 5% compared to the same period in 2010, driven by higher growth in mortgage loans. Gross new lending to U.K. households and businesses increased 11% during the period.
Impairment costs at the end of the March quarter stood at $1.48 billion, reducing from $2.4 billion in the same period last year. The year-to-date annualized loan loss rate was 76 bps compared to 112 bps during the same period of 2010. The Tier-1 capital ratio at the end of March quarter was 13.5% and capital adequacy ratio was 16.9%.Adjusted profit before tax was $3.28 billion, up 10% compared to $2.98 billion in first quarter of 2010 and increasing 63% sequentially from the fourth quarter of 2010. The most profitable segments were retail and business banking, with profit before tax at $1.13 billion, up 21%. Return on average shareholder equity stood at 10.1%, compared to 9.3% in the same period last year. The stock trading at 8.7 times its estimated 2011 earnings and analysts expect it to gain 76% over the next one year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV