The opposite of that pattern, a regular head-and-shoulders, is forming in shares of Microsoft (MSFT) right now. To say that the pattern is forming is a bit of an understatement -- Microsoft's head-and-shoulders top has been in formation since way back in November when the left shoulder came together. But despite the time it's taken for the pattern to complete, the implications are still there for shares.
As with the Ford pattern, the trigger for Microsoft comes on a break of the neckline. Unlike with Ford, Microsoft's pattern has bearish implications. That's because a head-and-shoulders top depicts exhaustion among buyers, who no longer have the conviction (or the capital) to continue buying. Without that requisite buying shares fall (even moreso when shorting comes into play).
Watch for jerkiness in Microsoft's right shoulder -- we'll want to see a clean, confirmed break below the neckline before this trade becomes shortable.Microsoft, one of the top-yielding computer software and services stocks, shows up on a recent list of 3 Big Tech Winners in China.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV