- Net sales increased 13.6 % in the first quarter. Sales from acquisitions amounted to $10.2 million or 6.3% during the quarter, and largely related to the Cozzini acquisition which occurred late in the third quarter of 2010. Excluding the impact of acquisitions, net sales increased 7.3% during the first quarter, including an increase of 8.8% in sales from the Commercial Foodservice Group offset by a decrease of 2.9% in sales from the Food Processing Group. Sales growth of the Commercial Foodservice Group continues to grow reflecting growth in the international markets and increasing business with major restaurant chain customers. The Food Processing Group, which grew 56.6% in the first quarter of last year, declined slightly, reflecting the quarterly volatility associated with this business due to the timing of large orders.
- Gross profit increased to $71.8 million from $63.5 million. The gross margin rate of 39.3% compared to 39.5% in the prior year quarter. The gross margin rate reflects the impact of increasing material costs and lower margins at newly acquired companies offset in part by the benefit of increased sales volumes and operational improvements.
- Operating income increased to $31.4 million from $26.4 million.
- Non-cash expenses recorded during the first quarter included $3.9 million of depreciation and amortization in the current quarter as compared to $3.7 million in the prior year first quarter. Non-cash share based compensation expenses decreased to $2.0 million in the 2011 first quarter as compared to $3.2 million in the 2010 first quarter.
- Net interest expense and deferred financing costs amounted to $2.1 million in the first quarter as compared to $2.5 million in the prior year first quarter. Reduced interest expense reflects the benefit of lower interest rates and lower debt levels.
- Provisions for income taxes increased to $11.6 million at a 40% effective rate in comparison to $9.9 million at a 42% effective rate in the prior year quarter.
- Total debt at the end of the 2011 first quarter amounted to $239.6 million as compared to $271.0 million at the end of the first quarter 2010. The company’s debt is financed under a $497.8 million senior revolving credit facility that matures in December 2012.
- Net earnings per share in the 2011 first quarter increased 31% to $0.97 per share as compared to $0.74 per share in the 2010 first quarter.
The Middleby Corporation Reports First Quarter Results
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.