SG&A expenses in the second quarter included a $3.7 million loss on the sale of our former corporate aircraft, which was recently replaced by operating lease for a new aircraft. Excluding this item, SG&A expenses increased by 13.7% from the second quarter of last year and were 11.5% of sales compared to 11.8% of sales a year ago. The increase in dollar SG&A expenses over fiscal 2010 was primarily due to the ramp-up of the new retail distribution center, expenses for retail advertising, our year-to-date adjustment to performance driven variable compensation and the impact of the higher valued Canadian dollar on corporate administrative expenses.
Results for the second quarter reflected income tax recoveries of $5 million, of which approximately 1/2 related to the first quarter. The tax recoveries are due to recognition of the tax benefits of year-to-date losses from U.S. legal entities, which are being recognized as a result of our projected future earnings in these entities which are expected to enable us to fully utilize the losses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV