BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The Credit Suisse Focus List has outperformed the S&P 500 Index in each of the past five years. The list currently has 19 stocks, expected to rise between 5% and 52%. They represent the bank's favorite equity investments. The following five offer the most upside. Below, the stocks are ordered by potential return, from plenty to most.
5. Petrohawk Energy (HK) is an oil-and-gas exploration and production company, with a focus on domestic shale plays. Its stock has appreciated 37% in 2011, outperforming indices. This week, Citigroup boosted its target on the stock from $20 to $24, impressed by first-quarter earnings. Petrohawk's adjusted profit dropped 15% to 15 cents, but exceeded the consensus forecast by 10%. Sales rose 19%, surprising by 7.3% and boosting outlook.
PetroHawk is increasingly a natural-gas focused company and its recent move into the Permian basin will boost production going forward. Credit Suisse recently boosted its price target from $33 to $35, suggesting that Petrohawk has an attractive 40% of upside. The Permian move led Credit Suisse to boost its 2011, 2012 and 2013 earnings estimates by 62%, 48% and 33%, respectively. The stock receives "buy" ratings from 63% of analysts in coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV