Another fund seeing big investor inflows this year is the $8 billion T. Rowe Price Small-Cap Stock Fund (OTCFX). It has a huge portfolio of 311 stocks with only 17% of its assets in the top 10 holdings.
The fund gained 32.5% last year and is off to a good start to this year, up 11%.Morningstar says "the fund does own some aggressive-growth companies, (but) generally sticks with a growth-at-a-reasonable-price strategy, preferring to buy when stocks are out of favor and sell when their valuations run up." Standard & Poor's has a five-star rating on T. Rowe Price Small-Cap Stock Fund, its highest. The fund's top pick is Brunswick (BC), at 1.3%. It's up 22% this year. The company is a recreational-equipment conglomerate, and brands include Mercury and Mariner outboard engines and Sea Ray, Boston Whaler and Bayliner boats. It is also the leading manufacturer of fitness equipment, under the Life Fitness and Hammer Strength brands. The fund's second-biggest stock holding, at 1.2% of the portfolio, is Acuity Brands (AYI), which has an odd mix of a line of lighting products and specialty chemicals. It returned 63% last year and is up 13% this year, giving it a market value of $2.5 billion. Fidelity owns 9.7% of its shares, followed by T. Rowe Price, at 7%. The fund's fourth-largest holding, at just over 1%, is Amerigroup (AGP), which has a return of 57% this year. It is a Medicaid-focused managed-care organization that provides health benefits to 1.9 million subscribers via contracts with 11 states, including Texas, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Maryland, New York and New Jersey. Fidelity owns 10.3% of its shares, followed by T. Rowe Price, at 9.8%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV