In contact box of release, the phone number should read: 571-437-4685 (sted 517-437-4685).
The corrected release reads:
SPRINT CEO DAN HESSE ADDRESSES NEGATIVE IMPACT PROPOSED AT&T/T-MOBILE MERGER WILL HAVE ON CONSUMERS, INNOVATION AND THE ECONOMY
Argues That Takeover Will Create a Duopoly, Providing “Twin Bells” with Control of Approximately 80 Percent of Wireless Industry RevenuesSprint Nextel (NYSE: S) CEO Dan Hesse testified today before members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights, voicing opposition to the proposed takeover of T-Mobile by AT&T. In his testimony, Hesse contrasted the current vibrant competitive wireless industry which benefits the American consumer against a vision of what would result from recreating a 1980s-style duopoly. “The wireless industry thrives on competition, which, in turn, drives investment, innovation, consumer choice, job creation and U.S. global leadership in wireless communications,” said Mr. Hesse. “If AT&T is permitted to devour one of the two remaining independent national wireless carriers, while the rest of the world achieves advances in technology and innovation for the 21 st century, the U.S. will go backwards – toward last century’s Ma Bell.” Mr. Hesse noted that duopolistic control of the wireless market, which this takeover threatens to create, will provide AT&T and Verizon approximately 80 percent of the market, creating irreparable harm to:
- Pricing: Controlling approximately 80 percent of the market would give the Twin Bells significant, unchecked leverage to increase prices for consumers for voice and data.
- Last Mile Access: Control of most of our nation’s vast wireline infrastructure and the critical “last mile” offers the duopolists the ability to raise competitors’ costs, reduce their network quality and quash competitive alternatives.
- Choice: Next-generation smartphone and tablet manufacturers would be discouraged from partnering with any company other than AT&T or Verizon because of their massive scale, limiting choice to consumers and opportunity for manufacturers.
- Innovation: Content and application developers would lack incentive to create content for companies other than the Twin Bells, diminishing innovation and harming developers as well as the capital markets that fund them.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV