9. Cardinal Financial
Shares of Cardinal Financial (CFNL) of McLean, Va. closed at $10.94 Friday, up 6% over the previous year.
The company had $2.1 billion in total assets as of March 31, operating 26 branches in the Washington, D.C. area and was also mentioned in January by Brett Scheiner as a possible acquisition candidate.Cardinal Financial also appears on KBW's Potential Sellers List, with analyst Brian Klock rating the shares at "market perform," or neutral, with a $12.25 price target. First-quarter net income was $5.2 million, or 18 cents a share, improving from $3.8 million, or 13 cents a share, a year earlier. The provision for loan losses declined to $1.1 million in the first quarter, from $2.4 million a year earlier. The company's first-quarter return on average assets (ROA) was 1.02%, making it, by far, the best earnings performer among the 10 banks listed here. Asset quality was strong, with nonperforming assets making up 0.45% of total assets as of March 31. The first-quarter net charge-off ratio was 0.32%, and reserves covered 1.71% of total loans as of March 31. The shares trade for 12 times the consensus 2012 earnings estimate of 89 cents a share, among analysts polled by FactSet. According to SNL Financial, the shares trade for 1.4 times tangible book value. The eight analysts covering Cardinal Financial are evenly split between buy and hold ratings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV