Conceptus 1Q Loss Widens On Revenue Dip
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (AP) â¿¿ Conceptus Inc., which develops the Essure permanent birth control procedure, said Tuesday that its first-quarter loss widened on a decline in revenue.
The results sent share plummeting in after-hours trading.
Conceptus lost $2.9 million, or 9 cents per share, compared with a loss of $2.4 million, or 8 cents per share, during the same period a year prior. Revenue fell 21 percent to $21.4 million from $27 million.
Analysts surveyed by FactSet expected a loss of 5 cents per share on $32.4 million in revenue.The company said the unemployment situation and the loss of insurance coverage by some people partly affected the ability of consumers to pay for Essure. "Macroeconomic pressures, challenging insurance trends, competitive trialing and our planned strategic focus were the primary factors that impacted our sales this quarter," said President and CEO Mark Sieczkarek, in a statement. Looking ahead, the company expects sales between $135 million and $150 million in 2011. Analysts expect $142.6 million in sales. Shares of Conceptus fell $2.09, or 13.9 percent, to $13 in after-hours trading, after gaining 18 cents to close at $15.09 during the regular trading session.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV