NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Retail stocks are rallying as the sector gears up for earnings reports from major players starting this week. The sector followed the broader market, which is on a three-day winning streak.
Wall Street is banking on upside to earnings results, after retailers reported solid April same-store sales numbers. The SP Retail Index increased 1.2% to close at 545.59 on Tuesday.
So far, there were impressive results out The Pantry and Fossil on Tuesday, both stocks leading the sector higher.
The Pantry (PTRY) reported a smaller-than-expected loss in its second quarter, sending shares surging 13.5% to $18.21. The convenience store operator lost $269,000, or 1 cent, compared with a loss of $166.1 million, or $7.44 a share. Excluding charges, Pantry actually earned a penny.Revenue rose 13% to $1.9 million, driven by a 16% increase in gasoline sales. Analysts were calling for a loss of 25 cents a share on revenue of $1.92 million. Fossil (FOSL) reported a 55% spike in first-quarter earnings, led by revenue growth in Asia. During the quarter the apparel and accessories maker earned $55.8 million, or 86 cents a share, handily topping estimates of 66 cents. Revenue jumped more than 36% to nearly $537 million. Looking ahead, Fossil expected second-quarter earnings in the range of 70 cents to 73 cents a share, and full-year profit between $4.44 and $4.54 a share. Analysts are calling for earnings of 76 cents and $4.35 a share, respectively. Shares of Fossil advanced 12.7% to close at $105.97. Other notable gainers included Zale (ZLC), which spiked 12.6% to $3.66, Wet Seal (WTSLA), which swelled 8.6% to $4.91 and New York & Company (NWY), which rose 7% to $5.99. --Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV