2. Cenovus Energy (CVE) is a Canadian oil-and-gas and oil-sands company. It also has an interest in several U.S.-based refineries, in Texas.
Cenovus shares have appreciated 28% in the past 12 months and are up 7.9% in 2011. Cenovus missed Goldman's first-quarter adjusted earnings and cash flow targets by a significant margin, but Goldman reiterated that Cenovus is a " Conviction List top pick."Goldman sees regulatory approval for its Christina Lake expansion as a catalyst for the stock, in addition to a "top-tier oil-production growth outlook." Like Diamond Offshore and First Solar, Goldman has a six-month, rather than 12-month, target on Cenovus, forecasting that its equity will advance 50% to $54. The stock trades at a premium to peers, at a book value multiple of 3.2 and a cash flow multiple of 10. But, Goldman expects its oil-sands projects to yield significant cash flow in the next 12 months, boosting the share price. Also, "a possible transaction with a third party to 'bring forward' the value of long-dated oil-sands resource" may help investors realize upside.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV