Morgan Stanley says its Best Ideas are the New York-based investment bank's leading investment insights, presenting highly differentiated research, favorable risk-reward profiles and clear catalysts. The firm's stock-selection committee argues against reconstructing their picks as a portfolio, though, as each investment idea is chosen based on its own merit and without consideration of other picks.
Morgan Stanley is diligent in updating its selections. Last month, for example, Morgan Stanley removed ARM Holdings (ARMH) from Best Ideas after an impressive run in the stock. Morgan Stanley still gives ARM an "overweight" rating. Similarly, the bank still views Apple (AAPL) highly, although the firm deleted the stock from the list in December 2010.The following eight stocks currently on Morgan Stanley's list are arranged in order of potential upside, based on the firm's 12-month price target and closing prices as of May 11.
8. Union Pacific (UNP) Company Profile: Union Pacific operates the Union Pacific Railroad Co., offering freight transportation to 23 states in the U.S. Current Share Price: $103.97 (May 11) Potential Upside: 8% based on a price target of $112 Morgan Stanley's Take: Though Union Pacific missed consensus estimates for the first quarter due to fuel price lag impact and weather disruptions, the result was consistent with Morgan Stanley analyst William Greene's expectations heading into the quarter. Based on several positives through the end of 2011, including reaccelerating pricing, a reversal of the fuel surcharge impact, improving margins and a commitment by management to repurchase shares and raise the dividend, Greene says Union Pacific shares currently offer an attractive entry point for his longer-term thesis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV