Page 3 provides additional financial highlights for the quarter. Despite the challenging industry conditions, Tower has continued to grow profitably in the first quarter. Our gross premiums written and managed increased by 38% in the first quarter to $390 million from $283 million for the same period last year. This growth was driven primarily by the acquisition of OneBeacon Personal Lines division and Navigators' renewal rights transaction. However, we began seeing organic growth from our new business units, customized solutions and assumed reinsurance and risk sharing. I will provide more details on these initiatives later on this call. In addition to achieving an impressive top line growth rate, we were able to maintain our underwriting discipline as demonstrated by a 97.7% combined ratio this quarter compared to 99.4% for the same period last year. Excluding the losses from the winter storms, our combined ratio for the quarter was 93.8%. We expect the combined ratio to decrease throughout the year, mainly due to a lower loss ratio that we experienced throughout our history for the rest of the year, and a lower expense ratio as our fixed expenses become leveraged with higher premium volume.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV